Infection Prevention & Control Statement
Annual Statement for Infection Prevention and Control (Primary Care)
It is a requirement of The Health and Social Care Act 2008 Code of Practice on the prevention and control of infections and related guidance that the Infection Prevention and Control Lead produces an annual statement with regard to compliance with good practice on infection prevention and control and makes it available for anyone who wishes to see it, including patients and regulatory authorities.
Infection Control Annual Statement
This annual statement will be generated each year in accordance with the requirements of The Health and Social Care Act 2008 Code of Practice on the prevention and control of infections and related guidance. It summarises:
- Any infection transmission incidents and any action taken (these will have been reported in accordance with our Significant Event procedure)
- Details of any infection control audits undertaken and actions undertaken
- Details of any risk assessments undertaken for prevention and control of infection
- Details of staff training
- Any review and update of policies, procedures and guidelines
Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) Lead
- The Pembridge Villas Surgery Lead for Infection Control: Bobby Sebastian
- The IPC Lead is supported by: Ellen Macdonald
The Infection Control Lead attends annual training needs and regular Infection Control updates.
Infection transmission incidents (Significant Events)
Repairing the cracks in the walls (internally and externally) and re-painting the walls in all non-clinical areas
Infection Prevention Audit and Actions
The Annual Infection Prevention and Control audit was completed by Bobby Sebastian and Ellen Macdonald
As a result of the audit, the following things have been changed in Pembridge Villas Surgery:
- Building maintenance has taken place from March 2023 – June 2023
- Infection control policies have been reviewed and updated
- Staff training has been reviewed and updated
The following things are future changes on the agenda to be updated:
- Infection control audits to continue throughout the year of 2023/2024
- Maintaining a clean environment in clinical and non-clinical areas
- Continue to promote vaccinations for staff and patients
The Pembridge Villas surgery plan to undertake the following audits during 2023/2024.
- Clinical room audits
- Hand washing
- Cold chain policy
- Minor surgery
Risk assessments are carried out so that best practice can be established and then followed. In the last year the following risk assessments were carried out / reviewed:
- Legionella (Water) Risk Assessment.
- Immunisation: As a practice we ensure that all of our staff are up to date with their Hepatitis B immunisations and offered any occupational health vaccinations applicable to their role (i.e. MMR, Seasonal Flu, Covid).
- Curtains: The NHS Cleaning Specifications state the curtains should be cleaned or if using disposable curtains, replaced every 6 months. To this effect we use disposable curtains and ensure that all clinical areas (treatment rooms/minor ops) are changed every 6 months. All curtains are regularly reviewed and changed if visibly soiled.
- We have a cleaning specification and frequency policy for staff and cleaners
- All our staff receives mandatory training in infection prevention and control.
- The infection Control Lead has changed this year. Bobby Sebastian is now the lead with the support of Ellen Macdonald. Both have attended a 2-day course and have up-to-date training.
- Ellen Macdonald has undergone immunisation training and will be carrying out audits for the year 2023/2024.
- GPs have undertaken specialist training in Minor surgery, infection prevention and control.
- All policies are reviewed and updated annually
It is the responsibility of each individual to be familiar with this Statement and their roles and responsibilities under this.
- June 2024
Responsibility for Review
The Infection Prevention and Control Lead and Practice Manager are responsible for reviewing and producing the Annual Statement.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.